Marine Electrician – Seattle, WA (Ballard)
Mackay Communications, aka Mackay Marine, is America’s largest marine service company with 330 employees and 45 service depots in fourteen (14) countries, including the Americas, Asia, and Europe. For over fifty (50) years Mackay has sold, installed, and serviced marine navigation and communication equipment onboard commercial ships, fishing boats, ferries, yachts and pleasure craft. We sustain our industry-leading position by hiring only the most skilled candidates and providing them with the parts, technical support, and training needed to be successful in their jobs. The goal is to provide superior results to our customers and in turn, superior careers for our employees.
Mackay is seeking an experienced Marine Electrician for our Seattle (Ballard), WA location. The Marine Electrician will specialize in working on commercial fishing boats and ferries in Washington and Alaska.
Marine Electrician Job Summary:
Marine Electricians are responsible for repairing and maintaining electrical circuits, low voltage electronic systems, generators, motors, engines, and alarm systems (etc.) on ships and boats. Marine Electrician’s also install and configure generators and shore-power connections to delivery energy to the boat systems.
- Installs power supply wiring for newly installed machines and equipment following electrical codes and blueprints
- Connects power supply wires to machines and equipment and connects cables and wires between machines and equipment following manuals, schematic diagrams, and blueprints
- Diagnoses malfunctioning apparatus, such as transformers, motors, and lighting fixtures using test equipment
- Test malfunctioning machinery and discusses malfunction with other maintenance workers to diagnose the problem
- Replaces faulty electrical components of machines, such as relays, switches, and motors, and positions sensing devices
- Responsible for maintenance and repairs to vessel electrical equipment within a good marine standard
- Cleans electric motors and areas housing motors with solvent, broom, or vacuum cleaner regularly
- Follows a continuous improvement process that includes familiarization with vessel systems and equipment, and taking advantage of any company-offered craft training
- Adheres to company health, safety, and environmental programs
- Adheres to company policies, programs, and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Marine Electrician Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ Years of journeyman level experience as Marine Electrician.
- Vocational Training or equivalent experience in electrical maintenance.
- Ability to maintain and troubleshoot prime movers, generators, generator synchronization, motor starter circuits, diagnose 3 phase power, and perform motor load calculations.
- Strong practical understanding of ohms law and DC knowledge preferred
- Main switchboard experience preferred.
- Must be proficient in Marine electrical installations, generation systems, general marine electrical practices, electrical drawing capable, troubleshooting and project oversight.
- Must be fit and have ability to work within limitations of technical spaces onboard vessels.