Marine Electrician – Seattle, WA (Ballard)
Mackay Communications, Inc. is a well-established and profitable marine electronics service company that employs over 325 people worldwide and has 35 service depots in thirteen (13) countries including every major port in the USA and Canada. For over fifty (50) years Mackay has sold, installed, and serviced navigation and communication equipment onboard commercial and naval ships. We sustain our industry-leading position by hiring only the most skilled candidates, investing in their continuous factory training, and providing them with the administrative and technical support needed to be successful in their jobs. The goal is to provide superior results to our customers and in turn, superior careers for our employees.
Mackay is seeking an experienced journeyman level Marine Electrician for our Seattle (Ballard), WA location. Must have solid knowledge of 3 phase power, motor starters and switchboards. Ability to work on generators, generator synchronization and prime movers is a plus. A strong understanding of DC circuits also desired.
Marine Electricians are responsible for repairing and maintaining electrical circuits, low voltage electronic systems, generators, motors, engines, and alarm systems (etc.) on ships and boats. Marine Electrician’s also install and configure generators and shore-power connections to delivery energy to the boat systems.
- Installs power supply wiring for newly installed machines and equipment following electrical codes and blueprints
- Connects power supply wires to machines and equipment and connects cables and wires between machines and equipment following manuals, schematic diagrams, and blueprints
- Diagnoses malfunctioning apparatus, such as transformers, motors, and lighting fixtures using test equipment
- Test malfunctioning machinery and discusses malfunction with other maintenance workers to diagnose the problem
- Replaces faulty electrical components of machines, such as relays, switches, and motors, and positions sensing devices
- Responsible for maintenance and repairs to vessel electrical equipment within a good marine standard
- Cleans electric motors and areas housing motors with solvent, broom, or vacuum cleaner regularly
- Follows a continuous improvement process that includes familiarization with vessel systems and equipment, and taking advantage of any company-offered craft training
- Adheres to company health, safety, and environmental programs
- Adheres to company policies, programs, and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ Years of experience as Marine Electrician.
- Vocational Training or equivalent experience in electrical maintenance.
- Subsea construction experience
- Journeyman level experience
- Knowledge of and troubleshooting on prime movers, generators, and generator synchronization.
- Ability to maintain and troubleshoot motor starter circuits, diagnose 3 phase power, and perform motor load calculations.
- Strong practical understanding of ohms law
- Strong DC knowledge preferred
- Main switchboard experience preferred.
- Must be proficient in Marine electrical installations, generation systems, general marine electrical practices, switchboard and switching equipment, electrical drawing capable, troubleshooting and project oversight.
- Must be fit and have ability to work in technical spaces on board vessels